Man Saved 30 Hours After Motorcycle Accident (Video)

A man said his final goodbyes after crashing his motorcycle and falling more than 100 feet down an embankment. However, what happened next, the man calls "divine intervention" (video below). 

Kevin Diepenbrock and his friend Phil Polito were riding their motorcycles on a stretch of road in the Smoky Mountains referred to as the "Tail of the Dragon." According to the Independent Journal Review, the section of US Highway 129 earned its nickname due to having more than 300 curves in an 11-mile stretch. Despite all of the warnings in the area, Diepenbrock and Polito didn't realize how dangerous the road was until they learned the hard way.

Polito hit his brakes on the road, causing Diepenbrock to run into the back of his bike. The crash sent the two men off the road. They both fell down an embankment more than 100 feet and Polito, tragically, did not survive the crash.

Diepenbrock laid at the bottom of the embankment after the crash and listened to cars and motorcycles driving past on the road above him. He attempted to move, but was too injured, so he recorded a video saying his goodbyes, preparing himself for the worst.

"It's 11:00," he said in the video. "Man, I wish you would tell... call Tennessee and tell them you got a husband out there that hasn't checked in since 10:30 in the morning. I love you. I don't know what to say. Hopefully, I'll be able to sleep and catch a state trooper in the morning. Love you, goodnight. Love you, sweet dreams."

Diepenbrock laid at the bottom of the embankment until nearly 30 hours later, when a woman riding on the back of a motorcycle asked her date to pull over so that she could get a drink of water.

The couple heard Diepenbrock screaming for help, but couldn't see his body, so they drove to a nearby business and asked for help. They returned with Joshua Johnson, who works near the site of the crash. Johnson walked to the edge of the embankment and looked around, until he eventually spotted Diepenbrock's body. He had no clue at the time whether the man he saw was alive or not.

"I know there were a lot of people [involved]," Diepenbrock said, recalling the moment Johnson came to help him. "But that's the guy that when he came down the hill, I saw him, and he grabbed my hand and said, 'Everything's going to be good and we're going to get out of here. He said he'd get ahold of my family and stuff like that. That was the guy who meant everything to me."

Johnson said that he was "determined" to get Kevin out of the woods no matter what he had to do.

"He was coming out of there one way or another," Johnson told WBIR. "I already had like five different plans on how he was coming out and one of them was going to work."

Thanks to the help of Johnson and a group of other generous strangers, Diepenbrock was safely retrieved from the woods and taken to the hospital. 

Diepenbrock said that he is incredibly thankful for Johnson and the couple for helping out. He called what happened "divine intervention."

"I'm a religious person. I've been raised that way. When all the circumstances come together, when you're talking about being down there for 30 hours... It's not a very scenic area. There's no reason why a person would stop there just to get a drink," Diepenbrock said. "There's other places where you can stop and oversee the valley. There's a lot of things that just shouldn't normally have happened that happened. I honestly think God has a plan for me, and he has a plan for other people. It's unclear what the purpose is, but it worked out."

Sources: IJ ReviewWBIR / Photo Credit: YouTube via IJ Review